Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Where was I?

It’s amazing what you may decide to undertake when it’s 5:02 pm** and you are so, so tired of the paper-from-hell you have been working on for months that makes you cry.

“Hey, I know…since I already spend far too many hours reading blogs (thus, preventing me from doing the work I get paid for), I’ll start my own!” Yeah, that’s a great idea. Though, I will go to any lengths for distraction whilst sitting in front of my computer in my home office at the end of my working day, trying to forget that I’m still in my pajamas and my hair is in the exact state it was in when I arose this morning.

Side note: The title of this blog refers to said hair. Due to its volume (plentiful) and texture (uh, crimpy?), it has been my most defining feature since it finally appeared at the age of two. Yes, until then my babysitter taped bows to my head, so upset was she that strangers often referred to me as a “cute little boy.” Now, at the age of 29, and having discovered the magical elixir that is Aveda Confixor, I actually receive many compliments. Yeah. Where was I going with this?

So, here I am with a blog. I have always had a love-hate relationship with writing. I came to me easily enough in school, and I now do it for a living (in very dry fashion) as a policy analyst working for a nonprofit organization. I will tell anyone who asks that I really like what I do and feel that I am pretty successful at it. But when I am in the middle of a paper, memo, whatever, you can often find me tearing my hair out and weeping, likely due to my attention span, akin to a gnat’s, and my gift for procrastination. But, hey, a blog? That’s little bits of writing at a time. On whatever I want. Refreshing.

To be honest, what truly inspired me to start this blog was the many intelligent, witty, intriguing, spit-coffee-on-my-keyboard-funny women writers I have found in the blog world. I’ve got nothing on these ladies…nothing at all. But, they’ve inspired me with their very honest, and incredibly funny stories and you, internet, will now have to put up with my ditherings…sorry.

Plus, and let me back off of the cheezy goodness now, I work from home, never see my husband who is busting his ass in grad school, and spend so much time talking to the dog that I’m convinced he’s going to talk back one day just to tell me to, “Can it, bitch.” Let’s face it, I can use all the distractions I can get.

**Technically, it's 4:47 pm, two freakin' years after I wrote this first post. Back then, I published....mmmm.....3 entries? Because that's so typical of me? So here goes take two. Maybe blogging for free this time around will be more inspiring.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer